Friday, December 5, 2008

They're Serious: Palin for President

In a CNN poll released today, 32 percent of Republican voters think Sarah Palin should be the party’s nominee for president in 2012.

OK, seriously now … what the hell are you people thinking?

Here’s what the candidate you prefer had to say about nuclear (not newk-yoo-lur) war:

“Nuclear weaponry, of course, would be the be-all, end-all of just too many people in too many parts of our planet, so those dangerous regimes, again, cannot be allowed to acquire nuclear weapons, period.”

And here she is on the subject of Africa:

“My concern has been the atrocities there in Darfur and the relevance to me with that issue as we spoke about Africa and some of the countries there that were kind of the people succumbing to the dictators and the corruption of some collapsed governments on the continent, the relevance was Alaska’s investment in Darfur with some of our permanent fund dollars.”

During the campaign, she extolled the virtues of John McCain, describing him as “… somebody very, very committed to policies that I believe will progress this country in the right direction.”

Honest to God, if I have to listen to more of that semi-coherent babbling over the next four years, I will progress myself right into the loony bin, screaming all the way.

As a Democrat, I should be rejoicing at the mere thought of Palin-for-President. But I can’t. I am dumbfounded that so many of my fellow citizens could seriously present this arrogant, ignorant, calculating, shallow, inarticulate, immature, incurious, uninformed, hypocritical and disingenuous person as the best your party has to offer our country.

.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Jim, if I might offer a couple of thoughts on Sarah Palin:

- She is physically attractive, and the Republicans have capitalized on that.

- Further to the first, I kind of see her as a political (and frightening) Kabuki doll.

- Is she the new Republican brand?

- I agree w/ Walter Williams 60% or so of the time and I think his Dec 3rd column is well worth a read while we're pondering this topic:
http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/wew/articles/08/IgnoranceReignsSupreme.htm