Sunday, July 12, 2009

There has GOT to be a better way!



We moved to Maui from Oahu seven years ago. For the first year, our mail was delivered to a postal box in a mail-drop place a couple of miles from here. You know the kind … they offer copying services, internet access, and collect your mail for a small monthly fee.

Then we moved into our home and, for the past six years, mail has come to our mailbox out on the road at the front of our property.

I had to copy a dozen pages from a book yesterday, so I stopped by the old copy center. After some casual how-ya-doin’s with the owner, he mentioned that they were still getting junk mail for us. Two or three pieces a day for us and it’s the same with most of his former box holders. He just dumps it all, of course.

I don’t know why, but that surprised me. Makes you wonder, doesn’t it, how many millions of tons of paper are wasted every year like that … circulars and flyers and other printed pieces that are sent to postal addresses that have been obsolete for years. Not to mention the money it costs to print all that crap.

I hate the SPAM that comes to my computer, but at least it doesn’t waste millions of trees.

No comments: