Tuesday, February 21, 2012

It must be nice to be never wrong.

As is pretty well known, I’m an active member of NARP, the National Association of Railroad Passengers, and frequently send email responses to anti-rail commentaries appearing in various media around the country.

One of my comments included praise for Governor Jerry Brown’s steadfast support of the proposed high-speed rail line in California. It immediately drew a heated response from someone in Orange County, well-known as a bastion of anti-government conservatism. He attacked me for not being “far-sighted enough to oppose that boondoggle”.

That stopped me cold, because all this time I have been laboring under the illusion that the far-sighted people were those of us supporting the project. How the hell can you be far-sighted and trying to stop progress at the same time??

No wonder we can’t get anywhere. We trying to have a rational discussion with people who watch Fox News.

No comments: